Vector-Free Vaccine Platforms for Filoviruses Ebola and Marburg
Figure 1: Electron microscopic image of Ebola VLP vaccine. Dots represent immunostaining with antibodies that recognize Ebola surface glycoprotein.
The Viral Vaccine and Therapeutics program at IBT is focused on the viral hemorrhagic fever (VHF) viruses Ebola and Marburg. These viruses cause severe diseases in humans and apes leading to death rates up to 70-90%. There are currently no vaccines or therapeutics available for most VHFs.
IBT is developing two platforms for filovirus vaccines, one based on a proprietary virus like particle technology and a second generation platform based on rational immunogen design. IBT's work on filovirus vaccines is supported by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). IBT is collaborating with the University of Texas Medical Branch for development of both platforms.
- Advances in virus-like particle vaccines for filoviruses. Warfield KL, Aman MJ. J Infect Dis. 2011 Nov; 204 Suppl 3:S1053-9
- Ebola virus-like particle-based vaccine protects nonhuman primates against lethal Ebola virus challenge. Warfield KL, Swenson DL, Olinger GG, Kalina WV, Aman MJ, Bavari S. J Infect Dis. 2007 Nov 15; 196 Suppl 2:S430-7.
- Ebola virus-like particles protect from lethal Ebola virus infection. Warfield KL, Bosio CM, Welcher BC, Deal EM, Mohamadzadeh M, Schmaljohn A, Aman MJ, Bavari S. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003 Dec 23: 100(26):15889-94.
- Lipid raft microdomains: a gateway for compartmentalized trafficking of Ebola and Marburg viruses. Bavari S, Bosio CM, Wiegand E, Ruthel G, Will AB, Geisbert TW, Hevey M, Schmaljohn C, Schmaljohn A, Aman MJ. J Exp Med. 2002 Mar 4; 195(5):593-602.
- Rafting with Ebola. : Eric O. Freed. Science 12 April 2002: Vol. 296 no. 5566 p. 279 Link
Wall Street Journal:
Ebola Virus Uses Oils in Cell Linings To Infect, Disease Researchers Find
Wall Street Journal - March 4, 2002
Marilyn Chase, Staff Reporter